You can apply for this Visa under these conditions.
- You should atleast 16 years old or more
- You should be free to get married or get into a civil partnership (single, divorced, widowed)
- You shouldn’t be closely related to your partner
- You need the consent of your parents or guardians if you are under the age of 18 years old
According to new norms introduced on 29th March 2014, same sex couples in England and Wales can get married.
Things to do
The steps to getting married or into a civil partnership are as follows.
- You have to give notice to your local register office
- You should have a religious or civil ceremony after 16 days of giving notice to the local register office
- Your valid passport
- Your birth certificate
- Your driving license
- Your national identity card
- Your Immigration status document
You should also provide at least 2 of the following
- Your bank statement for the last 3 months
- Your Council Tax bill
- Gas, water or electricity bill for the last 3 months
If you are a widow or divorced,
- You must provide a decree absolute or final order
- Death certificate of your former partner
Marriage for Foreign nationals
In case you do not belong to EEA or Switzerland, you can get a visa to the UK and then carry out your procedure of getting married or entering a civil partnership.
Once you are in the UK, you and your partner should submit a notice to the designated register office.
If your partner is from the UK or settled in the UK, you can do the following.
- If you intend to stay for more than 6 months - Apply for a Family of a Settled Person Visa
- If you intend to stay for less than 6 months – Apply for a marriage Visitor Visa