0207 993 6762

Tier 2 – General Visa

Tier 2 – General Visa

Skilled workers from countries outside EEA, who are willing to migrate to the UK can apply for the Tier 2 (General) Visa. Most of the skilled workers, who have been offered employment in the UK, are eligible for this visa.
And before we start, here are a few pointers that you should consider before applying for Tier2 (General) Visa.

Eligibility criteria:

You can apply for this Visa under these conditions.

  • You do not belong to European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
  • Your employer has offered you a role in the organisation in UK
  • You pass the basic eligibility requirements


  • The UK Company must possess the Sponsor License to issue a Certificate of Sponsorship to you
  • Your work in the UK office must be related to your work of your sponsor organisation

Points Assessment

To be eligible for any category of this visa, you must pass the points assessment by scoring a minimum 70 points from the following criteria.

  • Certificate of sponsorship from your Licensed Sponsor – 30 points
  • Appropriate Salary (Min salary£20,000) – 20 points
  • English Language Ability Assessment – 10 points
  • Maintenance Funds – 10 points

To score maximum points in Maintenance, you should have funds of at least £800 in your bank account for the last 3 months before application.In other cases, your A-rated sponsor can provide you with a letter covering your maintenance requirements.

Time Duration

The Visa application and processing can take up to 3 months, so better start early by simply filling in our FREE VISA ASSESSMENT form.
Once you are here, the Tier 2 (General) visa allows you to stay for 5 years and 14 days, or the time period mentioned on your certificate of sponsorship and 1 additional month (whichever is shorter).

Dos and Don’ts

Once you are eligible for the visa and have migrated to the UK, there are a few dos and don’ts that you must be aware of as a Tier 2 (General) Visa Applicant. Here are a few tips which might come handy.


  • Work for your job sponsored by your employer
  • Travel abroad and return to UK within your visa period
  • Take up a second job from the same sector as your main job (up to 20 hours a week)
  • Enroll yourself for a job role which has shortage of workers in the UK ( up to 20 hours a week)
  • Volunteering
  • Your family can travel along with you when you apply
  • Enroll yourself in some educational programme
  • You can own up to 10% of your sponsor’s shares (to own more than 10%, you should earn more than £135,000 a year)


  • You can’t start with your second job before you start working for your sponsor
  • You cannot apply for Public Funds
  • You can’t start work before getting your visa